The CSW was formed in 1987 and comprises representatives appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion from members of faculty, staff, and students at UC San Diego.
The CSW’s charge is to identify and analyze issues relating to the status of women faculty, staff and students at UC San Diego; to inform and educate the campus community about conditions that affect the status of women within the University; and to advise the Chancellor regarding policies and procedures that will improve conditions for women.
- 2012 – Advocated for an online resource tool for UC staff and faculty for private options in quality care for children, elderly, and pets. Recommended partnership with private third party. SACSW and UCOP established partnership with Sittercity (Bright Horizons) to establish this resource.
- 2012 – Worked to advocate for new lactation standards. Recommended the development of an online reservation system requested by facility users.
- 2012 - UC San Diego Women’s Conference, 600 in attendance. Theme “Keeping the Momentum”
- 2013 – Completion of online reservation system: UC MOM.
- Former CSW Faculty Co-Chair Dr. Susan Marx formed a work group with Women in Computing. The result is a complete online reservation system.
- 2013 – UC San Diego Women’s Conference; 700 in attendance, Theme “We’ve Come a Long Way, But We’re Not There Yet.”
- 2013 YWCA’s “Tribute to Women & Industry” (TWIN) Staff Award Recipient: Andrina Marshall, Associate Dean – Skaggs School of Pharmacy
- 2014 – UC San Diego Women’s Conference; 600 in attendance, Theme “Be the Change You Want to See.”
- 2014 – YWCA’s “Tribute to Women & Industry” (TWIN) Faculty Award Recipient: Dr. Anita Raj, Director of UCSD’s Center on Gender Equity and Health; Professor in the Division of Global Public Health, Department of Medicine
- 2015 – UC San Diego Women’s Conference; 600-700 in attendance. “Equality for Women is Progress for All.” Conference to be held on March 10, 2015.
- 2008 – TWIN award Linday Doughty, Director of Cal-SOAP
- 2009 – Initiated the UC San Diego Women’s Conference. Recommended for annual budget, supported by the Chancellor. It is now in its 7th year with over 600-700 participants yearly. The forum is used to educate, inform, provide resources, and address issues related to women on campus.
- 2010 – Co-sponsored two programs with the women’s Center targeting outreach and education for students: 1. Welcome Week Fest highlighted several campus resources and services and welcoming new and returning students back to campus; and 2. F.A.C.E.S. Symposium, The Different Faces of Feminism, focused on issues affecting women of color, student activists, and allies.
- 2010 – TWIN Staff Award was given to Dr. Diana Bergen, Senior Landscape Architect.
- 2010 – UC San Diego Women’s Conference, 600 in attendance. Theme “Striking the Balance”
- 2011 – TWIN Faculty Award to Dr. Gabriele Weinhausen, Associate Dean, Division of Biological Sciences
- 2011 – UC San Diego Women’s Conference, 600 in attendance. Theme “Marketing Yourself”
Jeanne Ferrante, Professor of Computer Science and Associate Dean of the Jacobs School of Engineering selected as TWIN recipient. The TWIN award is an annual YWCA event that pays "Tribute to Women and Industry"
- A full day of events was focused on graduate student mentoring culminating in a workshop: "Mentoring for Success: Find a Mentor, Be a Mentor".
- CSW supports the establishment of part-time childcare options.
- CSW adds Elder Care as an issue for Quality of Work-life resources.
- CSW recognized for outstanding contributions at the annual Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and Diversity Awards Program.
- CSW designated to represent concerns of women on the newly revamped Diversity Council.
- WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) gains continued support for diversity through programs/events and institutional membership in the Association for Women in Science (AWIS).
CSW invited Women’s Leadership Alliance (WLA) to become subcommittee of CSW
- Created comprehensive Committee on the Status of Women Web Site
- Participated in UC President’s Task Force on Faculty Diversity (2005)
- Conducted Reception for Women Staff (2006)
- Selected and nominated Ann Briggs Addo for the YWCA: The Tribute to Women & Industry Award
- Facilitated a discussion on Gender Equity issues at reception for Woman Faculty
- Submitted, along with UC Santa Cruz, an NSF Advance grant to establish a UC-WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) Collaborative Center
- Facilitated the formation of a partnership between UCSD – WISE and the Association of Women in Science (AWIS)
- Conducted CSW Retreat (2004)
- Conducted Reception for Women Faculty (2005)
- Selected and nominated UCSD faculty candidate for the YWCA: The Tribute to Women & Industry Award (2005)
Facilitated a Lactation Parking Pilot Program - Facilitated discussions on policy and programmatic outcomes of the Faculty Gender Equity Study - Facilitated discussions on ensuring the institutional commitment to Quality of Work Life
- Facilitated American Physics Society review of organizational climate for faculty women at UCSD
- Facilitated OSHPP review Produced review of campus Diversity Report Produced Annual climate review Annual Reports to the Chancellor (1998)
- Produced Affirmative Action Programs Review
- Facilitated establishment of infant care pilot program at Day Care Center
- Facilitated opening of the Women’s Center
- Facilitated expansion of Day Care Center
- Produced summary report of sexual harassment surveys of students
- Produced Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) report
- Conducted sexual harassment survey of undergraduate students
- Facilitated establishment of the Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy (OSHPP)
- Facilitated establishment of Day Care Oversight Committee
- Facilitated establishment of Day Care Center facilities Produced proposal for a Women’s Center
- Produced personal safety report 1990 Conducted Faculty Salary Equity Survey
- Produced Faculty Salary Equity Report
- Conducted survey of childcare needs on campus